Your HVAC system can keep your home cool and comfortable, but you may be looking for the best way to save money on your cooling expenses. With temperatures rising, your HVAC unit will be working harder than before to keep your home cool. Electricity costs can quickly grow expensive, and your cooling expenses can be a significant amount of these bills. Learn how you can cut your costs and keep your home comfortable.
Maintain Your HVAC System
An efficient system can cool your home more easily while using less electricity. Your HVAC system may be losing efficiency without you noticing, and your energy costs can creep up. Properly maintaining your HVAC system can help prevent your energy bills from growing. Regular maintenance can keep your system running at its best. Find out what you can do to maintain your HVAC system.
- Clean or change your air filter. Your air filter plays a considerable role in the efficiency of your system. These filters clean particles, allergen, mold spores, and dust from your home’s air. Your HVAC system pushes air through your filter, and the more clogged your filter is, the harder your system works to move air. Replace disposable filters or wash your reusable filter once a month. You may be able to decrease your energy usage by up to 15%.
- Clear the area around your outdoor unit. Cut back vegetation and clear debris from around your outdoor unit. It should have about 2 feet of space to allow it to freely draw in air. Rake leaves in the fall.
- Seal your ducts and insulate them. Eliminate places where cool air can escape your ventilation system to increase the efficiency of your air conditioning. You can prevent cool air from escaping your home and reduces energy waste.
- Set your thermostat to your desired temperature. Setting your thermostat to a temperature that is cooler than your desired temperature won’t cool your home any faster. Doing so will only cause your HVAC unit to work harder, and cause it to use more energy.
Get Professional Help:
- Schedule routine maintenance. Your local HVAC service can help you keep up routine maintenance for your HVAC unit.
- Have the technician clean your HVAC drain. Your HVAC system drain needs to be cleaned regularly to prevent water damage and mold build up, as well as to help your HVAC system work more efficiently.
- Have the indoor and outdoor units cleaned. Ideally, your system should be cleaned before you start it up for the summer weather. Cleaning your system’s indoor and outdoor units once a year can boost the efficiency of your system. The technician should clean the fan blades and the indoor evaporator coil to help your system run smoothly.
- Install a programmable thermostat. These thermostats can help you save energy by raising the temperature of your home while you’re away, and lowering it when you are home to help decrease your energy consumption. You can program the device with your schedule, and it will control your home’s temperature to make it effortless to save yourself money and keep your home cool.
Upgrading Your System
If you have an older system, you also may consider updating your HVAC system to a new system. A new system can use up to 40% less energy to cool your home than a system that is only 10 years old. Air conditioning technology has grown more efficient in recent years, so it may be worth the investment to upgrade your system. Your HVAC professionals can help you choose the right system for your home, and can install it to ensure that your system is ready to keep you cool.
When installing your new system, consider relocating your system to the shade. If this isn’t possible, consider building a protective covering to shade your outdoor unit. When your outdoor unit is shaded, it can increase your HVAC system’s efficiency by up to 10%.
Contact Our Sugar Land HVAC Professionals Today – (281) 819-5852
Let Trademark Home Services help you maintain your HVAC system. Our Sugar Land HVAC team is prepared to help you keep comfortable this summer and keep your wallet happy. We pride ourselves on offering affordable, efficient, and high-quality work for every customer. Our team backs our work with a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so you can trust that we will make things right if they go wrong.
Schedule a maintenance appointment today! Contact our office at (281) 819-5852.