Nobody ever wants to call a plumber for repairs. Unfortunately, plumbing emergencies never call ahead and schedule an appointment – they almost always seem to happen at the most inopportune times. When things go wrong, especially under unexpected circumstances, unanticipated costs and frustrations can put a damper on even the best of days. While not all plumbing emergencies are avoidable, some can be prevented by avoiding certain mistakes.
To help protect you against an unexpected plumbing catastrophe, be sure to avoid the following:
- Flushing trash down the toilet: As tempting as it may be to use the toilet as a garbage can, never flush anything except toilet paper or human waste. Trash, bathroom products, and other objects can clog your pipes in a hurry and potentially lead to a smelly, ugly mess.
- Pouring grease down the kitchen sink: Cooking oils, animal fats, and other types of grease should never be poured down your kitchen drain. As these substances cool, they can congeal and stick to your pipes, creating blockages which can be difficult to clear without professional plumbing assistance. To protect against this, dispose of all cooking oils and grease in the garbage and regularly pour boiling water down your kitchen sink to help clear any stuck food matter.
- Leaving pipes exposed in winter: When temperatures drop below freezing during winter time, any pipes that are not protected by your heating system or are exposed to the elements can freeze over and burst, leading to costly flooding. Be sure to insulate any at-risk pipes and flush your irrigation system during winter.
- Not maintaining your water heater: Water heaters can potentially last up to 20 years if properly maintained. To help ensure your water heater is in optimal working order, be sure to periodically drain your heater to clear the sediment that can accumulate at the bottom of the tank, especially if your home has hard water. This buildup can not only hinder your water heater’s efficiency, but it could also lead to a costly clogging of your water lines.
- Putting inappropriate items down the garbage disposal: Non-food items, grease, fibrous foods, pasta and rice, coffee grounds, fruit pits, eggshells, bones, and poultry skins can all cause your garbage disposal to jam or clog and should be added to your trash instead. As a general rule of thumb, if it is soft enough for a baby to eat it, your garbage disposal will be able to handle it without issue.
Solve Your Plumbing Issue with Trademark Home Services
Even the best preventative plans do not guarantee that nothing will go wrong. While these tips can greatly reduce your risk of encountering a plumbing emergency, when a plumbing issue presents itself, it is best to trust the job to a trained professional. At Trademark Home Services, our knowledgeable and highly-trained Sugar Land plumbers offer a full range of residential plumbing services and can provide the quality workmanship you need to solve your issue with ease. From simple drain cleaning to full-scale re-piping jobs, we have what it takes to quickly and effectively address your plumbing needs. Most importantly, all of our work is backed by a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee.