5 Signs It Is Time to Replace Your Electrical Wiring

5 Signs It Is Time to Replace Your Electrical Wiring

The electrical wiring in our homes is an essential feature that we rely on day in and day out to power our various household appliances. Unfortunately, most people do not ever think about the quality or condition of their home’s wiring until disaster strikes. Electrical malfunctions are the leading cause of house fires, devastating more than 50,000 fires per year. Luckily, many of these disasters can be prevented if homeowners take care to recognize the symptoms of faulty wiring.

While most homes only have their electrical systems inspected during a renovation, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends you have a licensed electrician take a look at your wiring once every 10 years to ensure its proper function and safety. If you are unsure when your home was last inspected, or if you notice any of the following warning signs, it is imperative you contact an electrician as soon as possible to protect your home.

Signs that your wiring may be in need of an upgrade include:

  1. You are using too many extension cords: Visual aesthetics aside, there is a reason why electrical outlets are designed to be buried within walls. Running too many extension cords can not only be a trip hazard, but it can also cause them to bend, pinch, and short out from wear and tear. This can lead to damaged outlets, tripped breakers, and sometimes fires. If you find yourself constantly needing extension cords to power your household, it may be wise to have an electrician install more outlets.
  2. Odd smells: While new appliances may emit a funky odor the first few times they are used, odd smells should never come from your outlets. If you should ever detect an odor of burnt plastic or any other smell that seems out-of-the-ordinary coming from your electrical outlets, fuse box, or breaker panel, unplug everything and call an electrician immediately.
  3. Flickering lights: Light fixtures typically only draw a minimal amount of power, so any flickering or dimming lights are rarely attributed to an issue with the unit itself. Instead, this could be caused by either another appliance hogging too much power from the same circuit, or your wiring is simply having trouble maintaining a steady flow of electricity.
  4. Sparks and buzzing: Buzzing or sparking appliances, breaker panels, and outlets are never a good sign and must be treated with extreme caution. Properly flowing electricity should be silent. If your outlets, wires, or prongs are loose, the current will be forced to jump, creating a buzzing sound and sparks.
  5. Hot outlets and switch plates: Though some appliances such as hair dryers and toasters may be designed to produce heat, the power source it is plugged into should never become hot. If your outlet is uncomfortably hot, unplug whatever you are using and try another outlet. If the outlet is still hot with nothing plugged in, there is a chance that it is wired improperly and needs to be serviced.

Sugar Land Electrical Services – (281) 819-5852

If you are experiencing any of the above, get in touch with the knowledgeable Sugar Land electricians at Trademark Home Services. With 24 hour emergency electrical repair services, top-quality customer service, and only the most highly-trained and screened technicians, our team can diagnose and address your home’s electrical needs with ease. To find out more about why so many of our customers love us, get in touch with us online to schedule a free estimate today!

Categories